In the event of severe weather, the superintendent may choose to cancel school.
School closings due to inclement weather or other unusual circumstances are announced through our automated phone calling system, on the district website, and on our social media channels. Our emergency notification system automatically imports phone numbers and email addresses from school records located in TeacherEase.
It is critical that families keep contact information current. Please make sure contact information listed in your student’s TeacherEase records are accurate and up-to-date.
Our district utilizes SchoolMessenger to deliver text messages straight to your mobile phone with important information about events, school closings, safety alerts, and more.
You can opt-in for the service by sending a text message of “Y” or “Yes” to our district’s short code number:
You can opt-out of these messages at any time by simply replying to one of our messages with “Stop.”
Early Dismissal & Delayed Start
For your child’s safety, make certain your child knows ahead of time where to go in case of an early dismissal. If school dismisses early for an emergency, all after-school functions are automatically cancelled.
On delayed start schedule days, district buses will arrive at the scheduled pick-up points two hours later than their regularly-scheduled time. Students who walk or drive to school should arrive at the times listed below. In the event a delayed start schedule is used, class periods will be shortened to accommodate a shorter day, but dismissal times will not change.
Delayed Start Schedule
- No morning session
- Afternoon 11:50 a.m. – 2:50 p.m.
- Crosby Elementary: 10:10 a.m. – 3:05 p.m.
- Jefferson Elementary: 9:55 a.m. – 2:55 p.m.
- Harvard Jr. High: 10:00 a.m. – 2:45 p.m.
- Harvard High School: 10:00 a.m. – 2:45 p.m.
Delayed Start Adjustments
- Students arrive at the bus stop two hours later than your normal scheduled time
- Parents dropping off students, students who walk, and students driving to school should arrive 2 hours after their regular arrival times.
- Morning Washington School session cancelled
- Before-school programs will be cancelled
- After-school athletic programs will maintain normal schedules unless otherwise notified
- The decision to close schools or to open with a delayed start will be communicated as early as possible.
- If the decision is made for a two-hour delayed start, but worsening weather requires the closure of schools, an announcement will be made.
- Families and employees will receive a phone call, and closing information will be shared with local radio/TV stations, posted on the district website, and district social media pages.
Update Your Contact Information
It is important for schools to have accurate contact information for all families and employees. If your phone number or email address changes, please update that information in TeacherEase.
Winter Storm Preparedness Guide – Illinois Emergency Management Agency
Snowstorms & Extreme Cold – U.S. Department of Homeland Security
The following stations will broadcast closing information:
- WZOKRadio 97.5 FM Rockford
- WZSR Radio 105.5 FM Crystal Lake
- WBBM Radio 780 AM Chicago
- WROK Radio 1440 AM Rockford
- WHIW 101.3 FM Harvard Community Radio
- WIFR TV Ch. 23 Rockford
- WREX TV Ch. 13 Rockford
- CBS TV Ch. 2 Chicago
- ABC TV Ch. 7 Chicago
- NBC TV Ch. 5 Chicago
- WGN TV Ch. 9 Chicago
- FOX TV Ch. 32 Chicago